Planking has taken over core strength training because it incorporates numerous muscle groups and is easier on the body. But did you know that planking has many other benefits besides toning abs? Other benefits include reduced back pain and improved flexibility and balance. All sound worth it to me!
Nothing screams dedication louder than a 30 day plank challenge. I hope you join the challenge with me. Now where do we begin?
Let’s start with the basics of planking:
1. Get into the pushup position bending your elbows at a 90 degree angle. Be sure to rest most of your weight on your forearms.
2. Place your elbows directly under your shoulders. Make sure your wrists are in line with your elbows.
3. Check your alignment: the body should form a straight line from your head to your feet.
4. Brace and contract your abdominals while squeezing your glutes.
5. Don’t forget to breathe normally
6. Hold this position for 20-30 seconds, with a one minute break in between each interval.